18. March 2014 19:16
Being a landlord is not an easy job. One has to be constantly on the lookout for tenant satisfaction and handle their grievances, if any, promptly. Legal help is easily available today and the tenants are using it like never before to sue landlords for even the slightest of issues. So it is better to avoid all the legal hassle by working on building up your reputation as a landlord. Read on to know some of the common tenant complaints concerning Fort Hood rentals, and how the same can be addressed.
- An unclean apartment is one of the most common complaints that tenants have. Moving into a new house is never a smooth ride, and the last thing a tenant would want is to have to clean the place the first time he or she moves in with the family. As a landlord, you must make sure that everything starting from the doors to window panes to cupboards, and so on, is thoroughly cleaned. You could hire the services of a professional cleaner for the same. In case your tenant is too demanding, you might have to end up getting the house cleaned twice.
- It is true that freshly painted walls are a great way to attract the attention of a prospective tenant who is looking for a housing option in Ft Hood. But some tenants may overlook the colors of the rooms and get to see the actual hues once they have moved in to the place. Certain colors such as blue, green, pink, and the like, can be a problem with the tenants. As a landlord, it is best to get the house painted in neutral shades and colors so that this complaint does not crop up at all.
- Pests and rodents can be a huge menace in any house. Your tenant might complaint of these. To avoid such a situation, it is advisable to have the property cleaned thoroughly. If mere cleaning will not suffice; an exterminator has to be called to ensure that the property is rid of all such pests and becomes safe for the tenants to reside in.
- It is also important to have an easy-to-use lock and a key. If the keys don’t fit into the lock smoothly, it can be a hassle for the tenant every time he or she has to lock or unlock the door. As a landlord, you could go in for changing the lock in case the situation demands.
- Besides these, frequently shorting electric circuits and leaking drains/ pipes are to be checked. Appropriate rectifications should be done to the same to make sure tenants don’t complain about it.
These are some pointers which if borne in mind will help in ensuring a good relationship between a landlord and his or her tenants. They are easy to implement, and save a lot of hassle for both the parties involved.
11. March 2014 12:56
Every state in the US has different home buying process. Whether you are buying a home first time or already have an experience of buying a home, the following steps will guide you through home buying process in general. By following this step-by-step guide, you will be able to buy any property without any stress.
- Choose a real estate agent: It is crucial to hire a licensed real estate agent who can help you find a house. It is advisable that you choose a realtor who has joined the National Association of Realtors (NAR). You can find a reliable real estate agent by searching online or asking a friend or a relative who recently bought a house to provide you any references. It is always good to shortlist 2-3 agents for interview and then finally choose one on the basis of the answers provided by the agents to your questions.
- Choose a mortgage lender: The next paramount step is to interview and select a mortgage lender. To avoid disappointment later, ensure that you have funds to close the deal. You can get a copy of your personal credit report, as it can give you an edge while interviewing a lender. To check whether you qualify for buying a home, you can discuss your report with the lender who will ask you certain questions regarding your income, debts, and assets. This step will determine what interest rate options and loans are available, how much closing cost money and down payment you will need, how much monthly payment you will need to pay. After interviewing a couple of lenders, choose one that best suits your needs.
- Choose a house: Considering your requirements such as how many bedrooms you need, whether you need a garage or a garden, location, price, etc., your real estate agent can help you find a suitable property. Once you find the house, the next step is purchasing the house. Your real estate agent will help you finalize the deal. Once you reach an agreement on the price, you will need to pay a deposit called Earnest Money or Escrow. Now you can inspect the property and for this, you can hire a professional inspector.
- Closing the deal: The deal is finally closed with the transfer of ownership of the property, titles, and funds. Here also your real estate agent will advise the method and parties involved.
- Move to your new house: With the completion of all formalities, now it is time to move to your new house.
For more tips on buying a home, visit us at Lone Star Realty & Property Management Inc. We are located at 1020 W Jasper Dr, Killeen, TX 76542. You can also call us at (254) 699 – 7003.
4. March 2014 13:35
Before marking your duplex property as “to let”, you need to make sure whether it is ready to given on rent or not. Note down the following points which can help you prepare your duplex for rent:-
- Categorization- First and foremost, decide whether you want to categorize your duplex furnished or unfurnished. Be prepared to bear the damage of the furniture if you are planning to give a furnished duplex on rent. Being a landlord you may ask your tenants to pay if any damage is made to the furniture and other furnishings provided.
- Calculate the renovation cost- Before giving an apartment on rent, you have to make sure whether it is worth to live in or you need to renovate the same for the rental purposes and if yes how much will it cost to you. This may include mortgage payments, and costs for utilities, maintenance, repairs or any other professional needs you would be requiring.
- Maintenance- Next step involves the maintenance. You have to keep this in mind that if at any time your tenant approaches regarding some complaint, say for instance, a request for a plumber, electrician or a carpenter, you should be ready for the same. You must possess the contact numbers of plumbers, carpenters, and electricians or make yourself ready for any other requirement of your tenants.
- Security arrangements- Your duplex property should be fully equipped with security gadgets necessary.
- Rental estimate- You may refer to newspaper classified ads, online ads or ask other landlords to know the market and what position your duplex holds in the market.
- Post an ad- Once you are done with the rental estimate, you may advertize your duplex by posting an ad in local newspapers or on online rental listing. In order to reach a large number of prospective tenants.
- Tenant screening- You will have to screen your tenant regarding his job, family, friends and background. You may contact his previous landlords and enquire about him and his behavior, his lifestyle etc. to be on the safer side. Make sure that the tenant does not have any criminal record.
We, at Lone Star Realty & Property Management Inc can assist you through the property renting process.You can visit us at. We are located at 1020 W Jasper Dr, Killeen, TX 76542 or call us at (254) 699-7003.