6. October 2015 19:28
If you are planning to rent a home, you might be confused between choosing an apartment or a duplex. Though both of them have their advantages and disadvantages, you have to select the one that perfectly suits your budget, needs and lifestyle.
Here are the pros and cons of each of these housing options:
Apartments have always been a favorable option for people who are looking for an affordable home to rent.
- No maintenance: The maintenance of the apartments is the responsibility of the landlord. Therefore, you do not have to worry about any repair work. You only need to inform the landlord about any maintenance issues and he will get them fixed in a timely manner.
- Less expensive: Apartments are a good option for people who are on a limited budget for monthly rent payments. Also, most apartments are equipped with the electrical appliances and other necessary conveniences, which further cut down the costs
- Amenities: Apartment buildings generally offer a wide array of amenities which might not be available in a duplex. These may include gym, swimming pool, covered parking, communal barbeques etc.
- Constricted living space: Since an apartment is smaller as compared to a normal house, you have a limited space to live in. There is no segregation of rooms and there is no provision to add an extension.
- Limited privacy: With a small living space, you may face privacy issues in an apartment. Due to a shared wall and physically closer units, your voice can easily reach the apartment next door and vice versa.
- Restrictions on personalization: There may be restrictions on personalization in an apartment building. So, you cannot repaint or remodel anything without the consent of the landlord.
A duplex is basically a single home that is divided into two apartments with separate entrances. It offers a good sized home at a considerably affordable rent.
- Outdoor space: Duplexes may have split yards on the front as well as back side. You can utilize this space to spend leisure time or host outdoor parties. You can even make your own vegetable garden in this space.
- Affordable: Duplexes are an affordable option because you can share the monthly rent payment with another tenant.
- Less sharing: All the amenities have to be shared between people living in an apartment complex. However, this is not the case if you live in a duplex. You can get your own driveway, garage and lawn close to your side of the duplex.
- Tenant conflicts: Since you do not know who will be renting the other side of the duplex, there is a possibility of conflicts with the tenants. There could be noise issues and this can make living side-by-side a difficult proposition.
- Divided yard: The backyard and front yard have to be shared with the other tenants. This can sometimes cause unnecessary hassles. For instance, you might have a pet that can make the other tenant uncomfortable.
- More Responsibilities: While living in a duplex, the responsibility for property maintenance is to be borne by the tenant.
We, at Lone Star Realty & Property Management, Inc., offer affordable duplexes and apartments for rent in Fort Hood, TX. For more information, you can call us at (254) 699 – 7003.